Saturday, August 16, 2014

Step Away From the Screen

   I always start on page 2 of a notebook. “Why?”, you ask? Because the first page sometimes eventually starts to slowly fall out. Yep. Little by little that first page starts to creep away from the other sixty-nine pages. When that starts to happen I get a little frustrated and, perhaps even a little anxious, every time I open the notebook. I’m weird, I know. But why put up with bullshit if you don’t have to?

  If this makes it to the interwebs and you’re reading it, you may be wondering why in the world I’m talking (writing/typing…whatevs) about notebooks when I have a keyboard within arms length. Call me a tree killer but I like paper. Sue me. Actually, please don’t sue me…that would not be fun times and you probably wouldn’t win anyway. Thanks in advance. Anyway, I like writing on paper with a pen (I mean, who doesn’t love a good pen?!). I suppose that’s pretty old school in this day and age, but I like what I like. *shrug*


  I literally hand write everything before putting it online. Perhaps it has something to do with my concentration issues. Maybe I’m just weird. Or maybe it’s because I can remember not having a computer or the internet. I can remember my first internet experience…it was via WebTV. Chances are, you probably don’t even know what that is without googling it. I can also remember a time when “googling” wasn’t a verb. 


  Back then, if you wanted to talk to someone you called them on a landline. And I don’t remember calling “the phone” a “landline” until modern technology became so modern and mobile phones started popping up everywhere. Oh, how times have changed…

Technology is weird. Don’t get me wrong, I love Most Things Technology, but look what it’s doing to us. We are spending so much time looking at screens that we hardly look at people anymore. Unless you count social media pictures…which, for the record, I don’t. How is that living? How does the internet and social media provide you with the same types of experiences and connections that real life can? Think about that. 

  When you would rather have your face in a screen than hangout with and talk to a close friend, THAT’S A PROBLEM. And I certainly don’t mean you should always choose to interact with people IRL (in real life). I’m relatively introverted (and anxious) so I get it. And I love the interwebs oh so much, but don’t choose Internetland over people every time. And (this is important so pay attention) when you do choose to spend time in the real world PLEASE don’t spend the majority of that time with your face buried in a screen. I’d be willing to bet that person wants to see YOU, not the back of your phone. 


 So, please, for the sake of intellect, humanity, and a bunch of other important stuff, take a time out from technology now and then. It will still be there when you get back and I pinky promise you’ll be okay without it.


No comments:

Post a Comment